Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Mindy Butler




Hi Everyone!
I love that its only been ten years since we've graduated! Am I the only one who feels like its been even longer?
After high school I went to Boise State University. I loved it~ In addition to working full time, undergrad was filled with hot springing in the mountains, late nights and early mornings studying philosophy, history, religion, art, and weekends at poetry readings and writers circles (I was convinced for a short while that I was meant to be a writer after receiving a few scholarships for it). My interest in political activism grew and I was heavily involved Boise's various feminist circles. I acted in and then produced "The Vagina Monologues", and coordinated "Take back the Night" and "Clothesline Project" amongst other projects for BSU's Women's Center. I also volunteered regularly lobbying the Idaho Congress and Senate with the Idaho Women's Network for various legislation, and as a rape crisis advocate for the Women and Children's Crisis Alliance. I received my bachelors in Political Science with emphasis in Public Law and Political Theory and got my minor in Women's Studies.

I was then accepted to Milano the New School for Urban Policy Analysis and Management, which meant I got to move to Brooklyn and go to school in Manhattan. Grad school was full of hot debates over social and economic policy, late nights drafting policy proposals and crunching numbers, reading up on best practices and studying non profit management. I was the TA for our statistics courses, and was pleased to find I really have a head for numbers. Grad school was a period of time for soul searching how my career and my life should exemplify my values while defining and redefining what those exactly were (I'm still doing a bit of that and hope to for the rest of my life- A life unexamined isn't worth living). I truly loved every second of it. Occasionally I got out into the city too ~ NYC is amazing, and though I've lived here 4 years I'm still discovering new neighborhoods, restaurants, bars, galleries, and shoppes. I really love living here.

Now, after grad school, I still live in Brooklyn (just in a better apartment!) with my partner of the last 6 years, Aaron, and our cat. I work in social policy, currently for NYC's largest non profit working with the homeless, Project Renewal, where I do program evaluation and statistics. I am conducting a longitudinal study on chronically homeless substance abusers and their willingness to change their substance abuse habits. It's exciting work since its the first time anyone has done this type of research. I also do freelance consulting for various other non profits and have experienced working in interesting policy arenas like bilingual education in inner city schools, economic and environmental revitalization of national parks, batter intervention programs, and disconnected youth.

I'm just starting to travel. While at Milano, I studied international non-governmental organizations in Mexico city. After graduation I celebrated graduation with a trip to a yoga ashram in the Bahamas. Aaron and I just got back from a month traveling around India, and I'm already planning a trip this fall to run an international half marathon. Any suggestions on where to go?

6 comments:

Jen said...

Hey girl! I'm excited to see you finally posted. I'm really looking forward to seeing you in May. We need to plan a trip together too. Maybe it can coincide with your marathon . . . any interest in doing a triathlon?

Love ya.

Hil said...

Good job! It is awesome you are so involved in important issues!

An international marathon sounds pretty cool! Good luck. Hmm there's so many places you can go...

Jana said...

It looks like you had a great time in India! I've only been out of the US once so I can't give you personal adive on where to go. But, Ireland would be cool.

The Moss Family said...

Looks like you've had a fun and busy 10 years. I just got done running a half marathon, and am now training for the P. F. Chang's Rock and Roll Marathon in San Diego in June. I was reading in my runner's world mag about a guy who organized a runner's cruise. They didn't run marathons though. They did daily runs that were any where from 5k to 8 miles. I believe it said it was on a Crown Princess cruise in the caribbean,but it was in January, but they had one planned for Febuary of 09. What would be better than a good run, and then some relaxation on a beach! I would love to run a marathon in Greece or France.
LeAnn(Cziep)Moss

Jessica Haddox said...

Sounds like you've kept busy in the past 10 years. Good for you! I have lots of friends and family who enjoy marathon running, and one of them mentioned an international run he was doing, but I don't recall where. I'll have to ask him again.

Mindy said...

LeAnn- I've been eyeing the San Diego run too- let me know how you like it- I can't do it this year, but maybe next year... and Jessica, I'd love to hear about what runs they've done and which ones were their favorites. keep me posted!