Sunday, January 20, 2008

Heather Hunting



Wow, ten years ago I was getting ready to graduate... has it really been that long?? It sure doesn't seem like it!!

After high school I attended the University of Idaho in Idaho Falls, earning a BS in Computer Science in 2003. The next semester I started work on a Master's, also in Computer Science. I've finished all the necessary classes, now I'm just staring at the most menacing part: the thesis. Scary! Well, ok, the first topic wasn't so scary; but it didn't work out. Neither did the second. Nor the third. So NOW it's scary! =) Some day I'll finish it, though. Some day.

Along the way, I've had a handful of interesting jobs. I worked as a tutor in ISU's Math Lab, and got some good jokes out of it when people misheard the "a" in Math for an "e" instead. =) I also got to test my teaching skills for U of I, on their beginning programming and Visual Basic classes. At the same time I ended up interning at Idaho National Lab for several years, which was a good experience but also showed me I don't necessarily want to work for the government. There's so much to do before you can even do what you want to do! Currently, I'm working for a youngish startup company based in Idaho Falls. To make it simple: we provide mortgage documents for loan companies. Part of my time is spent creating and verifying documents to use with our system, and part of it is spent programming an interface for inputting loan data. It's a completely different world than INL, one to which I'm much better suited. So, that's where I am - living and working in Idaho Falls.

Though... I make regular trips to Rigby for bambinos. =) It amazes me how many people who live so close have never heard of them - do you realize how much of the population of Idaho Falls thinks a bambino is a small child??? It is a ridiculous wrong that I am striving fervently to correct! Every person I've introduced to Rigby's Bambinos is now just as fond of them as I am. Maybe in another ten years I'll have converted everybody in southeast Idaho? Hhmm, what was our motto, "Reach for the sun..." Haha!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! You have been busy! Way to go!
And Bambino's, YUM! I wish I could have them delivered to Oregon!!

Hil said...

Ha ha ha! I had Bambino's when I was in Rigby over Christmas! It was nice, I haven't had them in ages!

I heard of people shipping bambinos to their kids who live far away...

KAMBRIA and MATT said...

Heather, sounds like you are doing great. I think educating everyone about Bambinos is a great idea. I bet Ryan Pickett is happy about it too.

Jessica Haddox said...

Bambinos! Wow, that sounds good right now! Good luck with that thesis. Scary...

Jessica Page

Anonymous said...

Heather, glad everything is going so well for you. My sister Sarah is also part of your Bambino crusade. Every time she and her husband come back to visit they try a different Bambino, and her husband is converted! What I think is funny is that in other places people call Bambinos "calzones" but when I tried to explain this to my companion on my mission, she was disgusted. In Spanish, calzones means underwear! (Which is better to eat, children or underwear?)

Anonymous said...

children. definitely children. *evil laugh*

old said...

for all you bambino crusaders: i'd be happy to give you some free bambino cards to pass out to your friends (and you can keep a couple too if you'd like). just email me you physical address, and i'll mail them out to you!

thanks, crusaders!

old said...

ryan@pickettsbambino.com