Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Jessica Page Haddox




Wow! It's been so great to read about all of you and where you are now. It's wonderful to hear that everyone is doing so well since I last saw you! As for me, after school, I worked at Chesbro Music Co. where I saved up money and tried to decide if I wanted to go to college. A few dates with an intriguing music major attending Ricks College convinced me that I did. Although it probably wasn't the best reason to decide to go to college, it was still the right choice in the end. I was given so many wonderful opportunities that first year, including being the student director of the Women's Choir, a teacher's aide, and a music theory tutor. Tutoring was something that was shoved at me. I thought I would hate it, but after only a few days, I came to love it so much that I decided that what I really wanted was to be a music teacher. Later semesters brought me the opportunities of providing vocal coaching to drama students, a summer internship with the head of choral studies, and substitute teaching first year theory classes. I worked hard and was eventually admitted to the Collegiate Singers, Ricks College's most elite choir, where I was a section and quartet leader.

Sometime during my third or fourth semester, my old high school friend Jolicka Miskin told me of a "buddy dance" where her roommate had set her up with a music major -- a french horn player who she described as looking like Sylvester Stallone. I had a vague picture of a french horn player named Mike Haddox who sat in the back of my theory class, but I didn't know him too well. I was far too distracted by the two handsome vocal majors who saved me a seat between them every day. However, I made the effort to become friends with him, and we eventually married in the Salt Lake temple in May of 2000. There must be something about us Rigby girls. He dated 3 others before me. Health issues springing from multiple miscarriages caused my grades to fail, and I was placed on academic suspension. I regret that I never returned to school. I hope that someday I can.

I am now a stay at home mom for my two incredible children, Hyrum Michael who was born in November 2003, and Emily Lisa who came to us in December 2006. I never could have imagined how wonderful it would be to be a parent! Mike works for a company that sells commercial playground equipment to schools and parks. We currently live in Nampa, but miss our old home in Ammon. We hope to move back to East Idaho someday.

7 comments:

Hil said...

Yay! I'm glad you finally have something posted here. ;)

Jec Tyger said...

Jessica,

Your kids are so cute! Your son is getting so big. Last time I saw you guys he was a baby. I miss our house in Ammon too. Glad to hear things are good.

Jessica Haddox said...

Hil, I figured it was about time I followed everyone else's examples! But you read about me on my personal blog anyhow. :P

Jec, isn't it funny that although I know Hyrum is 4 and your Lex is only a month younger, I still can't picture Lex as anything other than a baby? I hope you're enjoying your new house as much as Ammon. Post some pictures!

KAMBRIA and MATT said...

Your kids are really cute. I am glad all is going well for you.

Jen said...

Jess,

Hey girl! It's great to see how well you're doing. Your kids are SO cute!

Jen

Anonymous said...

Hey Jessica,
Your children are so beautiful. Isn't being a mom the best job in the whole world. I have three girls and a boy and they keep me busy. Well hope to see you soon.
-Miranda Stout Bird

Unknown said...

Wow Jessica, great to read more about what you've been doing since highschool! Your two kids are absolutely adorable. Ah, so many good memories from high school. Senior year for me was the best. Anyways just wanted to say hello. I'll have to get my info submitted.