Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Well, I guess I should have seen it coming. It all started when I began to spend too much time at the bowling alley and listening to too many Woodstock tribute albums. Pretty soon I had gotten into competitive eating (I now hold the county fair record for the most PB&J’s eaten in 20 minutes in Lake Winnepesaukee, Wisconsin), developed an addiction to daytime television, put on 63 pounds, and started doing seasonal work hanging Christmas lights. I’m still waiting to be discovered by an independent recording company, (I’m totally going to revolutionize the neo-classical acoustic grunge movement), and three times I’ve made it to the final round of selection for contestants in a pilot reality show, but they keep telling me that my life isn’t messed up enough yet. Here’s me at a recent audition:




People keep asking me if I’m the big guy from Lost. I’ve told a few yes and got a couple hundred bucks for my autograph. Do what you gotta do, right?

Now, as for what I’m really doing. After high school, in rapid succession I did the Ricks/mission (Brazil)/BYU-Idaho circuit, rooming with a bunch of fellow Rigby-ites along the way. After graduating in Communications, I married my wife Sarah in 2004. We have two kids (Jaxon, 2, and Samantha, 7 months) who keep us busy, and a spastic Jack Russell terrier who keeps us up pacing the floor wondering where we went wrong as parents. We are, however, very proud of our son Jaxon’s intelligence, and can tell by his demeanor, insightful comments, and maturity that he’s bound for greatness. After seeing his picture, I know you’ll agree.





As far as work goes, I worked as a marketing consultant in Idaho Falls for a while, then came back to BYU-Idaho to work in the administration, finishing a Master’s Degree in Public Relations along the way. We still live in the Rigby area; I’ve decided that it’s not all that bad. It’s been fun reading everyone’s updates and seeing where everyone has landed. Hope to see you all at the reunion!

Riley Hall

2 comments:

Dez said...

hahaha, that's classic! i was hoping someone would post some crazy, out-of-this world story about life since high school. so funny!
glad your real life is going better than your fake one! you have a beautiful family!
-desiree

Jolyn said...

Riley, its so good to hear how you are doing. I was thinking of you the other day when I was in dire need of your poem-writing talent (long story... but I really could have used your creativity at the time). Anyway, I'm glad you are doing so well, and your family is beautiful. -Jolyn